I wrote recently about how I decided to get myself in shape and how hard it was to get myself moving after 15 years of inactivity. Things have been going well so I thought I’d post an update.
On day 1 of my fitness programme, my trainer took some measurements and last week, we repeated the process to check on progress.
After just 5 weeks of exercising 3-4 times a week and starting to eat properly, I’ve seen the following improvements:
- Dropped 1.5% (1.12kg) of body fat
- Heart rate after 3mins of effort dropped from 119bpm to 82bpm
- Resting heart rate dropped from 85bpm to 66bpm
- Push ups in 2 mins went from a piss-poor 19 to 58 reps
- Crunches went from 46 reps in 2 mins to 77.
- Squats increased from 69 to 96 reps in 2 minutes
- Dropped a total of 21cm in measurements from calf, thigh, ass, hips, waist, chest, and upper arm
I was fairly pleased with the progress but more than that, I feel much fitter and healthier. I’m still working long hours and probably not getting enough sleep but feel so much more clear-headed and alert throughout the day - it will be interesting to see if this improved physical fitness has any impact on my mental capabilities although I’m not sure how I’ll measure that.
I used to hate the idea of exercise but now I’m almost starting to look forward to it - although it is still hard work. Having a job that doesn’t require any physical fitness what so ever definitely lead to me eating badly and not caring about my health much. That’s changing and it seems to be having a positive impact on all sorts of areas of my life. Long may it continue.
If you hate email but still want to keep in touch, follow me on Twitter.